Exam and Coursework Stress

Monday, 22 May 2017

I haven't sat an exam in about 5 years, my last exams were my GCSE's and it's safe to say that the results from them did not go as planned and led down of a road of panic and realisation. It was not a fun time to be my 16 year old self that summer I can tell you that and now when it comes to exams, I do not have the best confidence in myself - at all. So, when I found out that I would have to be taking 6 exams this year in my first year of university, I was not pleased or positive towards this fact.

I have been doing relatively well with my coursework through out the year, passing them at a 2:1 level, which I'm very proud of myself with but I know I can do better. I know I can do better because I did not try my hardest when it came to actually doing my coursework and if I had done better and got a higher marking on my coursework then I wouldn't have to fear exams as much as I do currently.

I think I pressure myself when it comes to coursework and exams because I want to do well for myself and show to others that I am worthy of being at  university, especially because I didn't perform so well in the past, causing me to lose my place at sixth form - seems silly now but back then that hurt my confidence. I try to act confident at university in front of me but deep down I doubt myself, which I know is something I need to stop doing but at times I struggle.

The reason to why I have written this post is that today (16th May) I received an assignment result and just scraped a 2:1, which I am happy about but again a tad disappointed - I would have been happier with a higher 2:1 if I'm going to be 100% honest as again I know I can do so much better when it comes to coursework but unfortunately I just didn't put the time and effort that I could have put it to it. This also means I need to get a better grade in my exam in order for my grade to not be pulled down further - the ultimate stress, a stress that is not needed by an individual that hasn't had the best record with exams in the past.

Now, many people would argue with and say 'you're a fresher, first year doesn't even count!'. My answer to that would be a. yes, I'm a fresher, so I do only need 40% to get in and b. yes, first year doesn't count BUT it counts to me. I feel like this year prepares you and it will now only get harder which scares me and intimidates me immensely. I do try to keep in mind however that it is only my first year so I really don't need to stress out so much as like I said it will only get harder. 


Please don't take this post the wrong way, I am happy with the results I'm getting but deep down I know I can do much better which is the frustration I have against myself. I'm hoping that the revision I'm doing now will be enough to hold up the grades I'm averaging out at the moment. I have also learnt that I do need to try a little harder next year, as then whatever grade I get back I know it's deserved as I would have put all my effort into it and nothing less.

Any advice on university stress over coursework and exams would be highly appreciated, so please comment down below, you'll be helping a gal out!

Tab x

2 comments:

  1. I think you've got a really positive mindset when it comes to exams, m'lovely! You're absolutely right that they don't count for you this year, but I think you're doing a really good thing by taking them seriously and trying your hardest! This will give you a really good base knowledge to then build upon in your second and third years! I'm sure you will do your best and that's all anyone can ask of you!

    Abbey 😘 www.abbeylouisarose.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you think so! I'm just hoping I can get through the next 2 weeks with good grades! Thanks for another lovely comment girl! xx

      Delete